Hey everyone, hope you’re having an incredible day today. Today, I’m gonna show you how to prepare a special dish, brad's chicken and sausage gumbo. It is one of my favorites. For mine, I am going to make it a little bit tasty. This is gonna smell and look delicious.
Brad's chicken and sausage gumbo is one of the most well liked of current trending foods on earth. It is appreciated by millions every day. It’s simple, it’s fast, it tastes delicious. They’re fine and they look wonderful. Brad's chicken and sausage gumbo is something which I have loved my entire life.
Reviews for: Photos of Cajun Chicken and Sausage Gumbo. I only used half the roux because I like my gumbo thicker. Stir in the smoked sausage and tasso.
To get started with this particular recipe, we must first prepare a few components. You can cook brad's chicken and sausage gumbo using 20 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you can achieve that.
The ingredients needed to make Brad's chicken and sausage gumbo:
- Get 3 lbs chicken thighs with bone and skin
- Take Seasoned flour to dredge chicken
- Prepare 1 lg yellow onion, chopped
- Make ready 1 red & 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
- Make ready 6 celery stalks, chopped
- Get 8-10 roma tomatoes, chopped
- Take 10 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- Get 1 1/2 cups cream sherry
- Get 1 1/2 cups shortening
- Get 1 1/2 cups flour
- Take 10-12 cups water
- Take 1/3 cup granulated chicken bouillon
- Get 1 tbs dried oregano
- Take 1 tbs smoked paprika
- Prepare 1/2 tbs white pepper
- Prepare Cajun seasoning to taste. I like it spicy so I used a fair bit
- Take 1 pkg frozen okra
- Make ready 1 1/2-2 lbs andouille sausage, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- Take 4-6 cups prepared white rice
- Get Gumbo filé
This recipe was a culmination of several recipes that I ran across through the years. It is time consuming but it is worth it. Note: The roux is probably the most important part of making a gumbo, take your time and you will be rewarded (To quote Alton Brown). The darker the color, the richer it will.
Instructions to make Brad's chicken and sausage gumbo:
- Place seasoned flour into a lg ziplock bag. Add chicken and seal. Shake well to coat evenly. Heat canola oil in a lg frying pan just under medium heat. Fry chicken covered until golden brown on both sides. Set aside.
- In the same pan, reserve 2 tbs of the chicken grease. Add onions, peppers, and celery. Fry on medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Meanwhile in a lg Dutch oven, melt shortening on medium heat. Add flour and mix thoroughly. Stir almost constantly until the roux becomes almost a chocolate brown and smells very nutty. This takes a while, but is the base Flavor of the dish. If it starts to smell burnt. Start over.
- Add tomatoes and garlic to the onion mixture. Keep frying until about half of the liquid from the onions evaporates. Add sherry. Bring to a simmer until half of that liquid evaporates.
- When the roux is done it will be a nice caramel color. Slowly add the onion mixture to it. Continue to stir constantly. Add water and mix thoroughly. Add the fried chicken, bouillon and spices. Bring to a simmer and simmer for an hour uncovered. Stir every 5-10 minutes
- Adjust seasonings to taste. Add okra and sausage. Simmer for another 20 minutes.
- In a bowl, plate rice off to one side. Add gumbo to the bowl, and top with a chicken thigh. Sprinkle a little gumbo filé on top and serve immediately. Enjoy.
Remove and shred meat, and discard bones and skin; stir meat back into gumbo. My Easy Chicken and Sausage Gumbo is a Cajun healthy gumbo recipe favorite and my trick is making a healthy roux! So, if you're looking for a gumbo recipe healthier, you're in the right place! When you think of Louisiana cuisine, gumbo comes to mind and especially in cold weather. This iconic dish represents everything we love about Louisiana cooking.
So that’s going to wrap it up for this special food brad's chicken and sausage gumbo recipe. Thank you very much for your time. I am sure that you will make this at home. There’s gonna be more interesting food at home recipes coming up. Don’t forget to save this page on your browser, and share it to your family, colleague and friends. Thanks again for reading. Go on get cooking!